If the sink in your Northern Colorado home is full of dirty water and food, it means your garbage disposal isn’t working properly, and it’s time to call in one of the plumbing experts at Lighten Up Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, and Electric.
Garbage disposals are a great appliance to have, but as with any modern convenience, when they break down, you are in for a major headache. Your garbage disposal may be malfunctioning due to:
- Jammed grinder
- Something stuck in the grinding plates
- Failed electrical connection
- A tripped reset button
- Excess food remnants
When you’re in need of “garbage disposal repair near me” in Fort Collins, Loveland, Windsor, or Greeley, CO, contact Lighten Up online, or call 970.230.3100!
Garbage Disposal Repair in Northern Colorado
Your garbage disposal is not something that a home handyman should attempt to fix! You could further damage the disposal or put yourself in harm’s way if you stick your hand into the disposal to fix the problem. Our trained technicians know the proper way to handle a faulty garbage disposal and will do so safely. We will inspect the disposal, determine the problem, and repair the issue so you don’t have to.
For most issues, including jams and clogs, we can remove the problem and return your garbage disposal to normal. If your garbage disposal has reached the end of its useful life, have an electrical problem, or the motor is blown, replacing the unit may be your best option.
When Do You Need to Replace a Garbage Disposal?
In most cases, a replacement disposal is only necessary when the unit has failed entirely. However, since dealing without a working disposal can be a major inconvenience, it’s always wisest to replace before a major problem arises. Our experts recommend replacing a disposal when:
- The disposal has gotten too old. A well-maintained disposal should last roughly 12-15 years before needing to be replaced.
- If the disposal struggles to grind efficiently. A disposal that can’t seem to handle perfectly normal food waste is either too small for your needs and sink, or is beginning to wear out.
- The disposal is humming during use. Humming and similar noises point to either the mechanisms of the disposal laboring to work properly or an electrical issue. NEVER attempt to operate or work on a disposal that is humming but not running or that is on but not making noise.
- You frequently need to use the reset function. Reset is a handy function that every disposal has; however, it should be something you need to use only very infrequently. If you’re pressing the reset all of the time, it’s the right situation for disposal replacement.
Where Is the Disposal Reset Button?
The reset button on a disposal essentially operates as a circuit breaker and may need to be used on occasion if the disposal has overloaded. If you do need to use the reset, it is a small, round or square red button on the base of the disposal. Simply press the button and it should reset the disposal. If it does not, it’s time to call Lighten Up for repair!
Need garbage disposal repair, or is your disposal still making no noise after a reset? Contact Lighten Up online or call 970.230.3100 now!
How to Avoid Garbage Disposal Problems In The Future
Once your garbage disposal has been repaired, it is important to take steps to avoid the problem in the future. Here is a list of items that should never be put in your garbage disposal:
- Fat or grease
- Stringy vegetables (such as celery)
- Potato skins
- Whole fruits or vegetables
- Non-food items (silverware, bones, or dirt)
Avoid the annoyance of a broken garbage disposal! Call Lighten Up Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, and Electric for garbage disposal replacement, repair or service today!
Garbage Disposal Repair & Replacement in Colorado
Regardless of whether you need a routine garbage disposal repair, or if your disposal is not working and needs to be replaced, you can count on Lighten Up Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, and Electric to get the job handled right.