Smoke detection is an essential part of maintaining home safety. Imagine this: it’s the middle of the night when everyone is sleep, and a fire breaks out. Without a smoke alarm going off, that fire may continue to grow, while you’re still counting sheep. Unfortunately, this scenario becomes a reality all too often. The National Fire Protection Association reports that between 2003 and 2006, 41% of the nearly 400,000 house fires in the country occurred simply because the home wasn’t equipped with a working smoke detector. Fires aren’t the only danger to concern yourself with. There is also the possibility of smoke inhalation, which can result in long-term breathing and respiratory problems. Making matters even worse is that many homeowners do not check the batteries on their alarm, meaning it may not even be working properly when an emergency situation does arise. Nobody should live with that scare, which makes it all the more important to ensure your smoke alarm is working at its best. The good news is that there are certainly plenty of ways you can maintain it and keep your home safe. The risk of a fire is far too great, so now is a better time than ever to learn how to ensure it’s working to the best of its abilities!
How Can Lighten Up Help You?
When you want to keep your home secure, you should call Lighten Up for electrical service. We can supply your home with hard-wired smoke detectors guaranteeing high, long-lasting performance. Hard-wired smoke detectors are much more effective than ones operated by battery. They eliminate the need to change batteries or perform regular testing. But, of course, just having a smoke detector in your home isn’t enough. Maintenance and keeping family members informed will improve awareness in identifying any signs of danger so make the proper decisions if they suspect something is wrong with the alarm. Fortunately, our team is here to provide all the information you need to make sure it remains in working condition. We make it our top priority to ensure your home is safe as it could possibly be, and our technicians are ready to answer your questions. Thanks to our help, you will be able to relax so much more in your home, with reliable detection keeping your well-being in check. You can also take comfort in knowing we’ll be there to provide emergency electrical service when you need it.
Follow These Safety Tips!
If you want to ensure your smoke detectors are working at their best and keeping your household protected, please follow these helpful tips:
- Replace Smoke Detectors after 8 Years: If your current smoke detector is reaching its eighth birthday, it’s time to replace it. Older smoke detectors will be more likely to experience breakdowns, definitely not what you need during an emergency. Modern smoke alarms available today are known for their longer-lasting performance and durability, so you’ll most definitely want to replace the old with the new as soon as possible.
- Practice Safe Cooking: If you have a passion for cooking in the kitchen, make sure to do it safely. Cooking is one of the leading causes of home fires and will set off your alarm immediately. Burning dinner won’t only cost you a meal, but also your house if the situation grows out of control. Do not use a barbeque inside of your garage or bring a charcoal-style grill inside of the home. Most importantly, do not heat your home with the oven. That’s only asking for a fire to start!
- Use Lithium Batteries: If you’re still using a battery-operated alarm, lithium batteries are the best way to keep it powered for a longer period of time. They are known for their remarkable efficiency, saving you the time and money on battery replacement. You will also worry far less about the possibility of the alarm suddenly malfunctions.
- Test Smoke Detection Once a Month: Most smoke alarms are equipped with a test button. Make a point once a month to test the alarm to ensure it’s working up to standard. A monthly test will let you know if the alarm needs to be replaced and allow to take the steps necessary in getting the right electrical installation to boost home safety.
- Clean ‘Em Up: Maintenance on your smoke detection doesn’t just extend to running tests and replacing batteries. You also need clean off any dust or debris building on the alarm’s sensors. Since the sensors are responsible for picking up traces of smoke, dust and debris buildup can hinder their performance and render your smoke detection ineffective. When you’re cleaning around the house, make smoke detection a part of the process.
- Educate Your Family: Make sure your family knows what the alarm sounds like and how to properly respond. Develop an evacuation plan to determine the best possible exit in the event the alarm goes off. You should also educate them on how to maintain it when they suspect there may be a problem with the alarm itself.
- Call Us for Maintenance: Please call Lighten Up annually to inspect all of the smoke detectors in your home. Insight from one of our team members will prove highly beneficial if you are unsure of whether your detectors working properly and want to verify all of the features are up to today’s standards. If you suspect your alarm isn’t working, always feel free to give our phones a ring for further assistance.
Contact Lighten Up today if you want to learn more on how you can ensure your safety by taking care of your smoke detection!