Open 8am-5pm: Monday - Saturday

Just a Call Away to
Brighten Your Day!
970.460.4477

Ask a Fort Collins Electrician: Why do I need GFCI?

Posted on: November 27, 2014

If you’ve ever gotten a good shock while in the bathroom or near a sink from an old outlet, well, you’re probably not reading this. When your home has old outlets in the bathroom or near kitchen sink, you run the risk of a potentially fatal shock. Children are especially at risk, and having the proper outlets installed is a critical step in childproofing a home. You need to have properly installed GFCI outlets in bathrooms and kitchens to prevent fatal shocks.

GFCI or ground fault circuit interrupter outlets should be installed in any area where there is a heightened risk of electrical shock, such as wet areas in the bathroom and kitchen. They work by detecting when fatal amounts of electricity are suddenly sent to the outlet, and cut it off before it can deliver the blast. This won’t stop shock all together, but it will prevent what would be a fatal shock in most cases.

While simply replacing an outlet may seem like the perfect task for a weekend do it yourselfer, you won’t want to risk it. Ensuring that these outlets are properly installed and that the wiring in your home is in good condition is essential to the safety of your family and home. A separate option for protecting your home would be to have a GFCI breaker installed into your service panel, however, you will need to go down into the basement to reset the breaker each time it trips.

Lighten Up is Fort Collins’ best local choice for getting GFCI outlets installed. Our technicians have the experience and training to ensure that outlets are installed properly and your home is safe. You can count on Lighten Up to deliver on time service and your complete satisfaction is guaranteed. Trust in Lighten Up to safeguard your home today, we’re available around the clock, so call today!

Leave Us A Review
Read Reviews:
See What Your Neighbors Are Saying!

“This family owned business did a great job on my furnace. I will use them again if I ever have issues with my furnace, AC, electrical and/or plumbing. Love the one stop shop. and love their maintenance program. Highly recommend.”

- Patty Neelis Johnson
Please tell us your name and email plus a little about the person you're nominating.
X
Affiliates & Certifications:
affiliate-logo-1
affiliate-logo-2
affiliate-logo-3
quite
ReferralistLogo(small) (1)
x