Extreme weather changes in Colorado are nothing new. It can go from blisteringly cold, insufferably hot, and back to blisteringly cold in no time at all. This time of year, however, will see the lowest temperatures across the state, making residents scramble to their nearest blanket to cover up and stay warm. Of course, heating systems will peak in use at this time of year and while they’ll certainly prove effective, having high-performing heating isn’t everything. You need heating that is high-quality and safe.
At Lighten Up, we understand how important it is to have safe yet effective heating this season, which is why we take great interest in educating our customers on how to stay safe. Residential fires increase in probability during this time of year, so it’s important to heed our advice and avoid this potentially fatal consequence. Never be afraid to call us at any time for advice. We’ll guide you through any weather change no matter how extreme!
What Does Our HVAC Contractor Recommend?
Our HVAC contractor in Windsor has years of experience under their belt, which lends itself greatly in giving advice.
- Seek Professional Service: When all else fails, call the pros. If you’re ever in doubt about the safety of your heating, always refer to a professional who can guide you down the right path. You should seek professional maintenance at least once a year and always call a professional service for any installation, repair, or replacement. The technical mastery of a professional will help ensure your heating is working safely and effectively.
- Don’t Use Oven for Heating: This is a big no-no when it comes to heating safety. While that oven in your kitchen may be great in cooking up warm, hearty meals, avoid using the oven to heat your home. This will increase the risk of carbon monoxide exposure, which can result in illness and death. A scary consequence indeed, and one that’s best avoided.
- Test Smoke Alarms: This is one step you don’t want to skip. Smoke alarms should detect any traces of smoke quickly and alert you at any time, even during the middle of the night. If you come across any problems during tests, call a professional for repair or replacement immediately.
- Keep Chimneys Clean: You may think chimney sweeps are becoming a thing of the past, but the harsh truth is that a lack of chimney cleanliness can lead to higher amounts of creosote becoming blocked in chimney and increase the risk of a fire. Contact a professional chimney cleaning service at least once a year to get work done.
- Follow the Three-Foot Rule: Got any small children or pets in your home? Then make sure they stay at least three feet away from all heating systems. Naturally curious children and pets will be more likely to get closer to heating systems, risking harm in the process. In a similar vein, any flammable objects should also be kept at least three feet from heating systems.
Contact Lighten Up today if you want to learn more tips on heating safety. And of course, rely on our HVAC contractor in Windsor!