We're Open - New Coronavirus Safety Procedures

View Policy

Ask a Fort Collins Electrician: 3 Warning Signs of Electrical Problems

Whether the electrical system in your Fort Collins is new or old, most problems will display some telltale warning signs before they become serious. It’s an important responsibility of home ownership to be able to recognize these signs and react appropriately can help you know when it’s time to enlist the services of Lighten Up Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric to help prevent a potentially dangerous electrical situation that might otherwise result in electrocution or property damage. Trying to troubleshoot electrical problems on your own is very unsafe so it’s always a smart idea to get professional diagnosis and repair. Here is a rundown of three of the most common signs of electrical issues in your home:

Buzzing Sounds: Outlets and switches are not supposed to make buzzing or humming sounds. If you hear any noise coming from your electrical source, it can often mean you have a faulty device, loose wiring inside the box or arcing between the wire conductors and the cover plate. You should not attempt to repair a problem like this by yourself, especially if the outlet or in question is warm to the touch.

Flickering Lights: Usually, flickering lights are a sign of a defective or loose light bulb. You can usually get rid of this “haunted house” sensation by just replacing the faulty bulb, but if the problem continues, you should not hesitate to contact the electrical experts at Lighten Up. If it’s not the bulb itself, the source of the issue is most likely due to the actual light fixture. Other possibilities include flawed electrical connections to the fixture or the wiring in your electrical panel may be loose.

Blown Circuit Breakers: Your circuit breaker panel is designed to trip when a circuit is overloaded. By shutting down your home’s electricity at the source, the breaker stops wires from overheating to the point they become a fire risk. Intermittently tripped breakers can usually be attributed to simple overloads caused by running too many household appliances at once. If overloads are an ongoing problem for you, try plugging the appliance into a different circuit. In the event this still doesn’t work, the problem most likely exists within your electrical panel and it is time to call a professional. Working inside an electrical panel requires a trained hand as even with the main breaker shut off; power is still flowing into the panel. A good rule to of thumb is to never replace a circuit breaker or fuse with a higher rated one as this can result in overheating and fire.

Don’t let one of these problems persist in your home. Get the electrical experts at Lighten Up Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric on the job today!

Leave a Reply

Skip to content