The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide in Fort Collins

We’re sure you’ve heard of it, but do you know exactly what carbon monoxide is and does?  Do you know how to protect your home or business from carbon monoxide poisoning?  What everyone really needs to know is that carbon monoxide is lethal.  That should be enough.  But you should also know that there are ways to protect yourself, your friends, and family.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that can dangerously infiltrate indoor spaces.  It is colorless and odorless and therefore extremely difficult, if at all possible, for humans to detect.  It is leftover residue from the incomplete burning of things like coal, wood, charcoal, propane, and other gases.  These types of “leftover gases” may be accidentally produced by the following household fixtures:

  • Lawn Mowers

  • Automobiles

  • Power Washers

  • Furnaces

  • Water Heaters

  • Portable Generators

What are the Top Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Unfortunately, the symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning are some of the same symptoms many of us experience every day.

Common things like:

  • Fatigue

  • Headache

  • Nausea

  • Dizziness

  • Shortness of Breath

How Can We Help?

As dangerous as carbon monoxide is, there are ways to stay safe.

1. Proper Appliance Setup: Make sure all electrical appliances are appropriately set up.  To be sure, work with a professional who is trained in safety precautions.

2. Portable Generator Safety: Your best bet is a whole house generator anyway, but if you must use a portable generator, make sure you do so in a wide open outdoor space.

3. Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector: Every home and office should have one!  Make sure it’s tested, well-maintained, and in an easy-to-see central location.

4. Do not leave your car running in an enclosed space, block vents or chimneys, use ovens or gas appliances to heat your home, burn charcoal indoors.

While some of the safety precautions are more common sense oriented than others, we think your best bet is to take the worry and guesswork out of the equation by working with a professional.

Stay safe from carbon monoxide poisoning!  Partner with Lighten Up Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric today to ensure your living and work environments are and remain secure.

Leave a Reply

Font Resize
Contrast