Imagine this troubling scenario: in the midst of a raging storm, lightning strikes your home, sending a powerful surge of electricity that travels through your home, frying sensitive electronics such as computers, televisions, refrigerators, washers and dryers and many more.
Could it have been prevented? Most likely, yes! You may think you’re protected with the many power strips you have in your home, but you’re not. The only way to truly protect all the valuables you have in your home is with whole house surge protection by Lighten Up Electric and Plumbing.
Many power strips are little more than extension cords, offering little in the way of true protection from dangerous power spikes. Most of today’s electronics and appliances are extremely vulnerable to surges and can cost thousands and thousands of dollars to replace.
Most power surges are relatively minor, lasting for a fraction of a second and leaving no permanent damage. However, every once in awhile, when conditions are just right, a powerful surge can send tens of thousands of volts through your home. Lightning and downed power lines are the chief sources of these major surges, but sudden changes in electricity use by nearby factories, and even routine cycling of appliances in the home, can also sometimes be the cause.
As the sophistication of today’s electronics has increased, so has the need for true protection against power surges. Any wave of voltage can cause irreparable damage—major surges can even result in electrical fires. But you can substantially reduce the risk of damage by having a whole house surge protector installed in your home.
Give us a call at Lighten Up Electric and Plumbing to learn more about whole house surge protectors. We can come to your home and help you determine exactly which kind is right for you.